Re: [teacherartexchange] cracked clay

---------

From: Louise Neal (tamaru_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Dec 06 2006 - 17:34:52 PST

Several things could be causing this problem. I read recently that you
should force the clay into a tall cylinder and then push it down into a
beehive shape several times. This is done before centering. It also
is an additional method of wedging the clay and getting air bubbles to
the outside of the clay. The theory behind it is that it lines up the
molecules of clay in a pattern rather than the helter skelter
arrangement that is standard. I read this in relation to the "s" crack
that often occurs in the bottom of the pot. I also have my student dry
their pots upside down so the air can get to the bottom of the pot
freely. Another way is to set them on an open mesh arrangement so the
air can get to the bottom both inside and outside.
                                                Louise in PA