RE: [teacherartexchange] Museums vs. internet

---------

Laura.Drietz_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Tue Dec 05 2006 - 13:38:27 PST

A good comparison is a snapshot. Someone who was a part of the action in
the snapshot will know more about it then another person just looking at
it. Same with art in a museum. You can't get the whole experience by
just LOOKING at it on the internet, books, or prints; you need to be a
part of it. Every time I have seen a masterpiece in a museum, I have new
respect for the artist.

Case and point is my love for Impressionism. A few years ago, it was
just an artistic period for me. I tend to like realism, and didn't
"feel" Impressionism. Then I got to see the Impressionists in Paris
exhibit in Atlanta. It literally brought me to tears. I was able to FEEL
the scene impressionists were painting. Now, I am a total fan of
Impressionism, I can't get enough of it. Even my husband, who is an
engineer, and I have to DRAG to museums (unless they have cars or
machinery) was awed by the exhibition, and I don't think he will ever
argue with me again when we have such an opportunity.

I agree with what others have said on preservation/treasury aspect of
museums too. It's like a scrapbook, if we don't do it now, (saving the
artwork vs. saving pictures) and document what we know, the information
will be lost forever. (Coming from a mom of 4 who has only documented
the first year of two of her children's lives in scrapbooks...thank the
Lord I didn't become a museum curator!)

Laura Drietz
Art Teacher
Brookings Middle School