Re: [teacherartexchange] Museums vs. internet

---------

From: Jen Ellis (just.jen.ellis_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Dec 05 2006 - 10:24:56 PST

http://www.resnicowschroeder.com/aboutUs.asp?P=3

http://www.opinionjournal.com/la/?id=110006760

Hi-

Here are some places you could go with the pro-museums argument.

http://www.firstmonday.org/issues/issue10_12/cohen/

The accuracy of the information can be debatable because anyone has
access, anyone can post information. I could in 5 minutes take a
famous painting and literally wipe a character out of the image and
post.

On demand education means they will choose what art to look at when
they want. Good in some ways, but other pieces could be missed that
they decide not to delve into.

Understanding scale, process, detail of artwork. Right now internet
screens have a resolution of 72 dpi our eye can absorb so much more
information then the internet can give you.

You may want to do research on internet usage GLOBALLY
http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats.htm
The percentage of internet usage in Africa, for example, is only 3% of
the population vs. almost 70% in the USA.

You may be able to find some information on how viewing in museums
affects health or improves lifestyles.

I would suggest she interview people her age that use the internet in
such a fashion and ask them why they would still travel to see
artwork. She can use interviews as a source for her arguement.

Jen