RE: [teacherartexchange] Quality of work

---------

From: Hillmer, Jan (HillmJan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Dec 04 2006 - 05:10:03 PST

do you use rubrics for grading? If so, use that rubrics chart as a
completion checklist for your kids. Or, the first day and then as the
project winds toward completion, have them tell you what the
expectations are - what will you find in an "A" work? "B"? "C"?
This helps me out.

With your 4th grade, check with his classroom teacher - I had a kid who
seemed lazy - turns out he has a processing problem, esp. when it comes
to fine motor skills. Helps me just to know this.

Hope this helps.

Jan

-I am a first year teacher, and am having a difficult time getting
quality
work out of my middle schoolers, plus some of my fourth graders.

In 4th grade, there is a boy who always slops through everything. And
STILL--he draws sloppy squares, not
putting forth any effort whatsoever.