RE: [teacherartexchange] Planning an ARt Exhibition with parent volunteers

---------

From: KPRS2 (kprs2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Dec 03 2006 - 11:19:32 PST

Parent volunteers can be both wonderful and awful at the same time. You must
be very organized and have a strong sense of self before you start. Too many
cooks will spoil the broth, or as I like to say there is only one Queen, and
c'est moi!

In the past when I have taken advantage of the generosity of parents I made
sure to have the whole art exhibit laid out on a piece of paper. I.e. tables
go here, display boards go there, that sort of thing. I also would designate
where what would go, so it would be something like, ceramics go on the
table, not more than 5, on display board number one I want the flower
drawings alternated with the figure water colors...that sort of thing.
Parents are EXCELLENT at taking things DOWN, so if you have more than
enough, use 1/2 of the volunteers to put it up and the other half to take it
down. Also let them know that what gets hung is non negotiable, and have
everything that you want displayed in piles already. Keep in mind that
everyone is a critic, AND everyone has a child they are trying to protect.

Also set a time limit, and give yourself enough time to 'work and adjust the
show' AFTER the parents have left. So you might want to say parents please
meet me at 9am, and we will be done at 12:00, knowing full well that you
will finish the job yourself for the next hour, tweaking as you go.

Regardless of the experience, make sure you send them thank you notes, and
somewhere in your show acknowlege their help.

San D