Re: [teacherartexchange] Quality of work

---------

From: Sarah Coullard (miss_sarah99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Dec 03 2006 - 10:52:41 PST

I am a first year teacher, and am having a difficult time getting quality
work out of my middle schoolers, plus some of my fourth graders.

My middle schoolers don't seem to put thought into what they do. Much of
their artwork ends up looking like 3rd grade work, simply because of the
fact that they don't try!

In 4th grade, there is a boy who always slops through everything. I can
tell he doesn't have much confidence when it comes to art. What can I do to
change this? I even had him and his classmates doing 1-point perspective,
for the reason that it doesn't require "art skills" quite as much as other
types of 2-D art that we do. And STILL--he draws sloppy squares, not
putting forth any effort whatsoever.

What can I do--for both my middle schoolers, and my 4th graders??