RE: [teacherartexchange] Quality of work

---------

From: KPRS2 (kprs2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Dec 03 2006 - 08:58:35 PST

I am a believer of RUBRICS at all levels (I teach high school). Even with
the "little ones" you can surely make rubrics that will "slow them down",
AND get you the quality you are looking for. What I do is introduce the
lesson with the requirments (which then become the rubrics). I would then
have the students tell me many times again, what the requirements are for
the project. You then make up the rubrics (I use a site that allows me just
to put in the requirments, and makes up the rubrics and I print it
out...rubrics generator). You then have the students tape the rubric to the
back of their work, so that when they come up with "I'm done Mrs.Hass" I
flip their paper over and we go over the rubric together, and then the
realize they aren't done. Eventually (which is where I am with my classes),
I only have to put the list of requirements on the board, and students know
what to do without their paper having their rubrics on the back. Also
rubrics justify your grading system to the students. I went to a great
workshop of doing rubrics for artists, and realize that I have been doing
this kind of "prompting" with my students for years, not even knowing it was
CALLED rubrics!

The key to "quality" is for you to previsualize what you think the most
perfect project would be, and then step back and develop 'requirements' or
'rubrics' for the work. So if you don't want fireballs, what DO you find
acceptable? I give my students even at the highschool level 'boundaries', or
rubrics. OK I do get students who at first balk (but I know as an educator
that they want boundaries and produce better when they have the framework),
and my conversation with these kids is the same "if you want to do whatever
you want to do, you have your artist studio at home to do that, but when
you enter my studio, I am going to be teaching you things, and the only way
I can evaluate whether you understand what we are doing is to have these
boundaries"..that sort of thing..the old "you can draw and paint all you
want and whatever you want all the time, but with me you will be learning to
get better". If you get fireballs, and goofy drawings you have delineated
your 'vision' clearly enough.

San D