Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

[teacherartexchange] Reflection as a Teaching Tool

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Dec 03 2006 - 07:44:05 PST

For several years a team of teachers from my middle school attended
weekly workshops exploring various teaching methods. We took turns
observing each other teaching in our own classrooms. We were to
reflect on what we observed. Did it work, didn't it - and why ? My
own major breakthrough came when we were ask to reflect upon our own
practice while in the process of teaching. It's like asking ones self
to float outside your body and observe what you are doing. I found it
very effective.

What is reflective teaching?

Reflection defined:
This involves more than just describing what we do or what we have done.
As individuals, each with our own background and experience, we bring
certain beliefs,
assumptions, knowledge, attitudes and values to teaching. Our
teaching takes place
in a social setting that has its own unique characteristics,
opportunities and constraints.
Reflective teaching means exploring the implications of all these
complex factors with
the intention of understanding and improving our practice. A good
place to start is by
considering our own pasts, as learners and teachers and reflecting on
the beliefs,
knowledge and values that we have developed from our experiences.

Some links on reflection in teaching:

Any thoughts on reflection in teaching art ? Post your ideas.

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque

35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons
Ordering Address: PO Box 91703
Albuquerque, NM 87199-1703