Re: [teacherartexchange] Quality of work

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Dec 03 2006 - 06:04:08 PST

On Dec 3, 2006, at 5:53 AM, dianegregory@grandecom.net wrote:

> One of the things I noticed though after using this method is that
> some of the
> work started having a sameness to it. In other words there seemed
> to be the
> same aesthetic preference being demonstrated in the work...mine.
> So be careful
> with it so that doesn't happen. You can even put something in the
> critera that
> says...try and do something different, surprising, humorous, ugly,
> or crazy
> just for fun.

Diane is totally correct. Art teachers balance on a fine line between
having their
students produce quality work or producing work with a diversity of
creativity.
Getting both is an art form in itself. I've visited classrooms where
all the work
looked the same. No names were on display and students could not pick
out
their own art. In my own classroom I strived to maintain just enough
control
to guide the process but not use my students as my paintbrushes. It
takes time
to learn how to do this. Some teachers do this by opening up the
choices of
subjects and media choices. I did not, I kept tight control of the
subject and the
choice of media. I wanted to help my students learn about how the
materials
worked so we all used the same materials. But, whether we drew a
vase of
flowers or a mountain range, I constantly stressed that everyones art
should
be unique and different from all the others in class.

My first lesson with my 6th graders was an attempt to show that part
of being
creative was being unique and different. I tried to reinforce this
through out
the three years I had them. Of course, I never taught 2nd graders.
But as
most of you know my triplet grandkids are in the 2nd grade now. We try
hard to reinforce the uniqueness in their personalities and in their
art.
Also, a big thank you for tolerating all my postings about the triplets.
As a grandparent I have a hard time not bragging.

We need more topics like "Quality of Work" on the list to stir up
thoughts and ideas to improve the teaching of art. It's not just
helping others, but when you reflect upon how you did something
it truly helps improve your own thinking. How about a thread on
"reflection" as a way to improve teaching.
                                                               Woody

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
         mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net

35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons