[teacherartexchange] Quality of work

---------

From: Tammy Morin (tmwillis72_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Dec 03 2006 - 04:03:50 PST

I have noticed that my students work doesn't have the quality or
craftsmanship I would like. I am at a loss on how to get them to
produce better work. They just scribble and rush through.

Is anyone having the same experience?

I teach elementary so using grades doesn't work that well.

Most of the time it is my 1-2 graders that really rush. My older
students don't have the quality I want but I can push them and talk
with them about getting the work to be better. I don't usually show
them a good and bad example.

Yesterday my 2nd graders had to finish a drawing and color it in. I
teach them for about 75 minutes. They just scribbled the color all
over the place. No thought to where it goes. If they were coloring
the sky blue everything overlapping the sky got colored blue.

Some had good drawings but started getting goofy like adding
fireballs and one girl did a good drawing of her in front of the
school then added a fiery ball coming out of the sky.

I am frustrated because I feel that some of it is so unrecognizable
that I can't hang it up.

Thanks for your help.

Tammy