[teacherartexchange] Contemporary African Art - Online Exhibit

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Dec 31 2005 - 15:01:26 PST

Dear Art Educators,

I am updating links today..... I found this new-to-me online exhibit
from the National Museum of African Art.

http://africa.si.edu/exhibits/pigozzi/index.html

African Art Now: Masterpieces from the Jean Pigozzi Collection
November 16, 2005--February 26, 2006

(Copied from the site)
The collection of Swiss entrepreneur and photographer Jean Pigozzi,
now known as the Contemporary African Art Collection (CAAC), offers a
sweeping survey of the brilliant invention of artists throughout the
great expanse of sub-Saharan Africa.

African Art Now: Masterpieces from the Jean Pigozzi Collection
profiles 28 artists from 15 African countries, all of whom came of age
in Africa and maintain close ties to their native countries. No single
tradition or method unites these artists. Rather, they reflect the
complex heritage of Africa today and respond to both the historic
traditions of their local cultures and the new era of international
globalism.
I browsed the collection by Artist - there are some really interesting works.

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/
Incredible Art Resources