Re: [teacherartexchange] I think I'm back on/ NOISE level

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Dec 31 2005 - 11:05:21 PST

Since it is this one class it wouldn't seem to be you, but the mix of
students in that class. If it were me I would either ask the administration
to come in, make the kids call their parents, or turn it into strictly a
book-class, telling them that since they cannot control themselves that
rather than waste supplies they will now learn about art strictly through
the historical/cultural/aesthetic aspect of it. Making art is more fun, BUT
your job is not to entertain them, but to teach them. If they cannot use
supplies responsibly then they are taking supplies away from your other
classes. I would state firmly that regardless of how they treated their past
art teacher that I was in charge and that I was not about to leave because
of immature behavior of children. I would NOT reward their good behavior as
a class reward - good behavior is to be expected. Don't play into their
game. I would also state that I was their art teacher for 2 more years and
that art class would be as fun, or as miserable, as they wanted, but it is
their choice. And don't just let one day of good behavior win you over -
make them earn back the privilege of creating art. AND make sure you do some
REALLY cool projects with your other classes so they know what they are
missing out on!
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids