Re: [teacherartexchange] NOISE level

---------

From: Amy Broady (AmyBroady_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Dec 31 2005 - 10:56:14 PST

I have 23 classes (grades 1-3) in my current job; in my previous elementary
job, I think I had 28 classes (grades 1-5) each week.

The palette system worked great even with so many classes. Just have a
palette on the wall for each class (you have to find the wall space!),
labeled. I label with the teacher's name, room number, and grade level. I
color code the name labels by days of the week. (All of Monday's classes
have red labels, etc.) You can keep a container of paper scraps handy, and
cut out each color as the class earns it.

The prep work this system requires is cutting out and laminating the
palettes ahead of time; I then hot-glue the labels on after printing them
onto colored cardstock. That way the labels can be removed and updated each
year. You could also do a quick label job with a dry-erase marker over the
lamination. This can be erased/midified as necessary (i.e. if a teacher gets
married, etc.).

I added some more work with my evaluation system, but for me it is worth it,
as it provides a behavior record for each class, and reinforces each class
what my expecations are. Each week I can review with them what the class
achieved last week in behavior (as well as in their projects of course), and
remind them what they need to improve in order to earn a color for this
week.

As for the rewards, you do have to stock up rewards when you see the classes
getting close to finishing their palettes (getting all 10 colors).

As for it getting cumbersome...yes it is a lot of work to prepare a
system...BUT, if the system is effective in motivating classes to mind their
behavior and focus on their projects, it is certainly worth it! It is so
much easier to teach when the kids know what is expected of them and are
eager to meet those expectations. Once you get behavior issues under
control, the emphasis can be on ART!!!

Sorry if I'm a bit too wordy. I try to explain clearly, but if you have any
questions, just ask!
Amy