Re: [teacherartexchange] I think I'm back on/ NOISE level

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Dec 30 2005 - 13:28:27 PST

I thought of a couple other things after I posted my last comments. Are you
wanting them to be quiet just for the sake of being quiet, because they need
to focus, or because it is what you yourself need in order to feel in
control? I don't mind a little noise if it is appropriate for the project.
My teaching style would NEVER be suited to total quiet. The classes I have
that are abit more rambunctious are the ones I am more controling of their
time - the less time they have "on their own" the less time they have to
lose control of themselves. Most classes will maintain an appropriate level
if given clear expectations of your tolerance level. I hate to have them
work in complete silence most times - you miss some really great
opportunities for some high level thinking in action if they are allowed
some time to discuss what they are working on. I love it when I hear my
students discussing whether a shape is geometric or free form, whether
yellow-green and red-violet are warm or cool colors, whether there is more
contrast with a yellow/black combination over a white/green one. Some of
this comes simply with your gaining experience, some comes with students
knowing EXACTLY what your expectations are. Figure out what your ideal
classroom environment is, and how to make that mesh with the expectations of
your administrator. Some classrooms can be noisy, yet the teacher obviously
maintains control, others are super quiet. Be consistent in creating a
classroom environment that meets your needs and one day you'll be surprised
to discover that it has happened.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids