[teacherartexchange] Noise level - A-R-T on board

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Dec 30 2005 - 07:53:37 PST

Hi Marcia (and all),

I decided to post this for everyone.....

A-R-T on the board works for many.
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/QUIET.htm

Since punishing them is not working (heads down) - come up with some
kind of reward system. Make a pallet for each class. Each day that
they keep all letters on board add a sticker to their pallet. At the
end of the grading period, reward the class(es) that has(have) the
most stickers.

Each day that they have a quiet art day, give a certificate to the
classroom teacher. Maybe you can get the classroom teachers on board
too (to reward their students for good art days).

Find out which teachers are good at classroom discipline in your
building and observe how they handle the students.

Rather than punishing the whole class - point out students that are
doing what you expect. "I like how Johnnie is working quietly today"
"It looks like Susie wants to earn a sticker today. Maybe the rest of
you can help her?" Use praise first.

You might want to look into Raise Responsibility System - Discipline
without stress:
http://www.marvinmarshall.com/
Marshall does not advise rewards/punishments.

Hope this helps,

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/