Re: [teacherartexchange] I think I'm back on/ NOISE level

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Dec 30 2005 - 07:51:01 PST

With my noisy classes they don't have ANY independent time - it is all
dictated by me. I refuse to begin talking over them, so they must ALL be
quiet and listening. Then I model my lessons. Once the kids are ready to
begin "on their own" I will pull out picture books and read to them as they
work, I will talk about the history of the project they are working on,
share tidbits about culture, etc. I understand why the students are loud and
excited - art is usually a "unique" experience for them, it is a class that
is out of the normal routine (which for them seems to be kind of like a snow
day! *L*). It is hands on, something else that they tend to crave. And on
top of all that, there is more freedom - time that they would spend quietly
working in their regular classroom tends to become social time in the art
room. With my noisy classes I will then begin weaning them off my constant
talking by having them work quietly for 3 minutes (STIFF penalties for
talking!), then gradually increasing this.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids