Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

[teacherartexchange] I think I'm back on/ NOISE level

From: marcia (marciadotcom_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Dec 30 2005 - 07:21:43 PST

Hurray, I think I'm able to post messages again!

My problem that I have been dealing with is that my
elementary kids come into art class and think it is
play time. They enter my room already really loud and
I often make them go back into the hall and enter
quietly. I usually can calm them down while I'm
explaining the project, but when it comes time for
them to independently work, they get really noisy.
How do you keep your classes talking at an appropriate
noise level. I've already tried playing soft music
(they talk over the music), having them put their
heads down for a couple minutes, silent time, and I've
tried a "stoplight system", green for good job, yellow
for warning, red for stop. It seems like the kids are
always on warning or stopping with their heads down.
They just don't get it! Marcia