Re:[teacherartexchange] lesson idea: race (digest: Dec 26, 2005)

---------

From: wendy free (wendypaigefree_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Dec 28 2005 - 14:00:28 PST

wow. thanks, diane, for explaining + illustrating the
complexities. this perspective is a lot to think
about. am thankful to be where i am! you are right,
though; i am promoting values. i justify this by
telling myself that it counteracts the negative hidden
curriculum i witness. another reason i feel compelled
to address racism is that even though "we" are
comparatively at ease in dealing with race in my
situation, it still is tiptoed around to a great
extent. for example, i have recently questioned my
kids about describing someone in conversation as,
"that black/white/chinese(referring to asian)girl".
my kids say its ok but i'm not sure. i told them i
feel ok being referred to as "the art teacher" but not
as "the white teacher". my logic seems to be to take
advantage of an open group + environment and see what
is produced. i guess i have more of an art for social
change philosophy than i thought!

wendy free