Re:[teacherartexchange] lesson idea: race (digest: Dec 26, 2005)

---------

From: wendy free (wendypaigefree_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Dec 28 2005 - 10:47:01 PST

hi dianne and all,

goals i had in mind: awareness, consideration, and
self reflection. it seems many people are finished
thinking about race, color, discrimination because
they believe its resolved. from what i see, we have a
long way to go. many schools are still segregated as
are neighborhoods; literacy rates and earnings for
people of color lag behind; prison populations are
greatly skewed; representation of nonwhites in mass
media is lacking, for starters.

nearly all my advanced art students are nonwhite. i
am white. the project i am envisoning will be
autobiographical. as usual, i will create a sample
work and incorporate my thoughts on racism. as usual,
we will look at a diverse group of artists whose work
relates to the topic. why do this? i want my
students to know that this is a topic i and many
others view as important and i want them to have a
chance to express their experiences and ideas
regarding race. if my students are comfortable with
displaying the resulting artworks, i believe they
could generate discussion among other students and
teachers, too.

hope this adds some clarification. i was a little
confused about the cautions against instilling values.
 can you tell me more specifically what may be
problematic?

wendy free