Re:[teacherartexchange] lesson idea: race (digest: Dec 26, 2005)

---------

dianegregory_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Wed Dec 28 2005 - 06:56:41 PST

Hi Curt and all,

Interesting topic about race. I think it would be good to have discussions, but
I do wonder what the goal might be. Is it to instill a value that you might
have (tolerance, respect for others, which is arguably a noble goal, etc.) or
is to help them become more familiar with how others think about the topic and
the many ways one can think about the topic. If it is to instill a value, I
would be careful...it might come across as "preaching." Back in the seventies
many teachers got into trouble with "Values Clarification." I guess I am more
comfortable talking about various values and how they have come to exist. I am
not sure I would be comfortable advocating for a particular value. I would be
most comfortable in having students advocate themselves. I think it would be
important for me to stay neutral because of Freedom of Expression, civil
liberties, and my desire for students to develop their own ideas without undo
pressure from me.

Diane

--
Diane