[teacherartexchange] Secondary Methods text

---------

From: Pam (pgstephens_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Dec 23 2005 - 12:54:41 PST

Hi, Diane:

On occasion I teach the secondary methods class. The book I require is
Stephen Mark Dobbs' "Learning in and through Art: A Guide to
Discipline-Based Art Education." The ISBN is 0892364947. It's not
specifically pointed at secondary, but it is a well-written text that
provides a good foundation.

An ongoing assignment throughout the semester is the development of an
art-based comprehensive unit of study. Most students purchase a supplemental
text to help with this. I suggest Wiggins and McTighe's "Understanding by
Design." To make this research/writing assignment a worthwhile endeavor, I
require that the units of study are submitted to me in electronic format.
These are then burned to a master CD and a copy is provided to every class
member. Students are grateful for this resource. They walk out on the last
day with no fewer than 20 complete units of study. Something I found out by
doing this is that students work very hard to make quality units of study
when they know that their peers will have access to their work.

In addition to the texts, I require students in the secondary methods course
to become members of www.Tappedin.org . They must attend and participate in
two online professional development classes that involve secondary teaching,
print out the transcript, write a reaction paper, and provide this to the
class.

And finally they are required to do a service project with the local arts
center. This semester the project will be hanging the district art show for
Youth Art Month.

Have a wonderful holiday!

Pam
Join us in June 2006 for Paris, Avignon, and the French Riviera
For details, visit:
http://www.artresourcesforteachers.com/2006Travel.html

Pamela G. Stephens, PhD
Northern Arizona University
Art Education
P.O. Box 6020
Flagstaff, AZ 86011-6020
928.523.2432 (voice mail) 928.523.3333 (fax)
Pamela.Stephens@nau.edu
http://www.cal.nau.edu/art/fac_pages/faculty_s.htm