[teacherartexchange] More Info: Art Trading cards

---------

From: Julie Jacobusse (JacobusseJulie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Dec 19 2005 - 14:46:29 PST

The trading cards are 2.5" X 3.5". I use white paper and then cut it on
my cutting board. Sometimes if I have scraps of paper, I cut them up
and use it for trading cards. You can use almost any type of paper
and/or colors for trading cards. I begin the lesson by asking if anyone
has ever collected Yugio cards, Pokemon or baseball cards. Most say
yes. Then I show examples of art trading cards made by students or ones
I make myself. You can also print examples from Internet sites. I
explain that it must be quality art to receive a plastic sleeve and
point out examples of quality art-no scribbling, no white showing
through, etc. I have a picture file with pictures of animals, etc and
the students can look through and draw from them, from imagination or do
a design. They can use any media such as markers, colored pencils,
scratch art, water colors, crayon resist, collage, cut paper, etc. or
you can limit what they do that day as well if you do not want paints
out. I then tell the students they can trade with a friend or with me
when they are finished. (In the school I student taught in, some kids
had a baseball collector's book and they collected the cards for the
last couple of years.) I make the trading cards with 3-5 grades, any
younger and they have a hard time working on the smaller format. I
tried 2nd grade and they did not turn out as well. When the students
are finished they show it to me and I decide if it is deserving of a
plastic sleeve. If not, they can make my suggested changes or make
another one. (This can be hard as some students may get offended by
your suggestions but I stick to my guns on the quality art concept.)
When the students receive a plastic sleeve the students feel like they
accomplished something and the art trading card looks like a polished
piece of art. They can make another one, trade with a friend, or take
them home. Another option is to have a baseball card folio book that is
purchased from a store and fill it with the trading cards with the whole
class or individual students could also have their own purchased books
to put them in.

This project is fun and can be used any time. Do a Google search- there
is a ton of info on art trading cards. Have fun!
Julie in Georgia