Re:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: December 16, 2005

---------

From: Naomi Reid (naomi.reid_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Dec 18 2005 - 15:49:43 PST

I have a question about critiques. In my province's curriculum
guidelines, (I teach in Canada) it says that the students should get
experience discussing their work and other students' work. I recall
critiques as being very grueling in university. I don't want to set up
the same sort of tense situation for my students, nor for me as a
teacher. How do you others handle this sort of situation which is at
the end of the day very beneficial because it teaches critical thinking
which is a big part of what the arts have to offer? I would be
interested to hear your replies. I currently teach a Grade 5 class.
Thanks,
Naomi