RE:[teacherartexchange] Opinion about Sketchbooks

---------

From: Markwald, Sarah (smarkwald_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Dec 17 2005 - 12:54:34 PST

If you don't have to use sketchbooks, you might consider using binders.
After 4 years of having sketchbooks stored in my classroom and hearing "
I can't find mine" - because they all looked the same...I decided to
switch to art binders (ones with the clear view fronts). I order a
boxes of lightweight, 3-hole punched tag from our school store in 8 1/2
by 11 and keep it in my classroom for them to use when they have
assignments or need to work on preliminary sketches. I also have them
use dividers to organize the handouts I may give them, rubrics, notes,
etc... The first project of the year is a simple name design lesson so
each student can individualize their binder. I also purchased this
awesome tower to store all the binders in -- I have a different color
binder for each of the three grade levels I teach to minimize confusion.
I call it "The Tower of Creativity" The kids seem to love it and I am
much more organized and less stressed -- no wires to cut and covers to
glue back on. I was so disappointed with how quickly the sketchbooks
fell apart last year, I had to find a new way. We have the binders and
dividers included in their art fee at the beginning of the year.

Hope this helps,

Sarah
http://middle.usm.k12.wi.us/Faculty/smarkwald/index.htm