Re:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: December 14, 2005

---------

From: Elizabeth Heisey (elizhiz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Dec 16 2005 - 04:49:37 PST

Recently I wrote that I was trying out using
hardware-type sizing for a base for watercolors. I
wanted to share the results with you all.
Of course, I have no thoughts to this sizing having
any properties like acid-free. so I don't know how
long any of this stuff will last.
But basically, we used part of a ream of white card
stock ($4 bought in bulk by our printshop) and the
sizing was $2 at the hardware. The powdered sizing is
about half gone; it made about 2 quarts for that
price.
We taped several dry sheets at a time to a used
foamcore (I get this donated). We brushed on the
sizing and let dry overnight. The paper rippled when
really wet but flattened as it dried of course. Best
of all--it was quite erasable up to the 3rd or 4th
re-application of watercolor. Students could easily
sponge out clouds, stencil out small white shapes,
etc.
I had been going to spend $100 on watercolor paper. Of
course, that paper would have been heavier, bigger
sheets, and possibly had the texture of cold press.
But here at 2 weeks into the process, I am thrilled at
the low cost and nice results.
My goal was to get students multiple watercolor
experiences so they wouldn't try to 'force' the first
one, or be too manipulative. They were much more
relaxed and we have had much more risk-taking.
Hope it helps someone.
Beth