Re: [teacherartexchange] need advice on a problem

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Dec 13 2005 - 16:42:22 PST

I would tell the students that while I know they all weren't responsible for
the behavior, they are supporting the culprit by remaining silent. I would
tell them who all was affected: the custodian, who had to clean the
bathrooms AND the carpet, and me, because the paint came from my room and it
makes me look bad that it happened with my supplies. I would then give them
a choice: 3 people must tell me who was responsible (they can do it
privately) or we will not paint again. By having 3 people report the
incident to me it keeps one student from being labeled a tattle-tale. I have
never had students NOT tell me after that. They know the culprit will sit at
a table by themselves for the next 2-3 projects. Deal with it tough - set an
example so your reputation will carry you through for years to come. I
believe in tough but fair, cause I hate group punishments too.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids