[teacherartexchange] need advice on a problem

---------

From: Betty B (bettycarol_40_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Dec 13 2005 - 15:42:18 PST

We have been working on a painting/color mixing
project. Today in 5th hour, after I saw that everbody
had cleaned up, and they left the classroom,
apparently somebody had a scrap of paper towel filled
with brown paint hidden in their hand (we didn't use
brown so at least they mixed their own!) It dribbled
down the hall all the way to the boys bathroom where
they spread it on the wall. It was discovered almost
immediately by a teacher, who also found the towel,
still early in the break, but no "witnesses". I'm
pretty much beyond sure who it would have been, but
have no proof. That's not as important - since he is
in continual trouble and was taken home the next hour
for other issues - punishment would mean nothing to
him.

every student I spoke with denied knowing who had the
paint.

So - do we finish these projects or do I put them away
and start something safer? I think it would not be
fair to the quiet peacful kids who have endured some
really awful students in that class all semester, but
my administrator kind of expects me to not let them
paint any more. (They jumped all over me for this as
it is - then I realized they were assuming I let the
boys go to the bathroom to clean up instead of using
the sinks in my room, good grief.)

Any advice on handling this? we have five more days
then I get all new kids after the break.