Re: [teacherartexchange] holiday project

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Dec 06 2005 - 06:58:00 PST

Hi Stacie,

Poinsettias make a nice holiday display. You can purchase a few plants
for students to draw from life. Tie some art history by looking at the
paintings of Georgia O'Keeffe' have the students really focus down on
the plant.

I did pen and ink poinsettia drawings with sixth graders. They could
also include a dove in the drawing if they wished. They selected one
part of the drawing to add color. We use tissue paper collage.

Torn paper poinsettia collage might be nice.

There are two sites that have interesting facts about poinsettias.
http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/poinsettia/

and
http://www.ecke.com/html/h_corp/corp_hist.html

At my former school, six grade students made large paper poinsettias
to decorate the hallways. The classroom teachers did this.

I couldn't find the "How to" online they way they did them... but
there are other how tos. You could share them with the classroom
teachers.

Kindergarten and first grade could do these (with several students
working together to make one flower).
http://www.enchantedlearning.com/crafts/christmas/poinsettia/

Here is one to share with classroom teachers:
http://www.kckpl.lib.ks.us/ys/CRAFTS/poinset.htm

Best wishes,

Judy Decker