Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: [teacherartexchange] Art therapy question

From: Carol K. (chudrlik_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Dec 04 2005 - 08:19:53 PST

Hi everyone. Linda, I agree with your whole post. It occurs to me
that the subject line "art therapy question" was misleading and I
just wanted to clarify that I was never intending to assume the
position of an art therapist. (I put that in the subject line
thinking that perhaps someone trained in art therapy was on this list
and would chime into the discussion).
Thanks again to everyone for your insights.

On Nov 29, 2005, at 12:32 AM, wrote:

> I got in on this discussion late, but I think the decision to
> continue the planned lesson is a good one. Acknowledging that some
> students may need help dealing with this very sad situation, that
> it is OK to need help, a moment of silence, time to talk, etc are
> all important.
> It is one thing to respond artistically to something devastating
> (IE Katrina, 9/11) and a completely different thing to use art as a
> therapeutic tool.
> Professional art therapists are trained to handle the emotions,
> conflict, personal situations, and concerns that arise and that may
> be opened up through the art where, as you noted, you are not.
> You students will be helped by knowing that you care deeply and
> that you are there for them as you have been.
> with sympathy for this loss,
> Linda in Oregon
> ---
> To unsubscribe go to