[teacherartexchange] Cover Art: The Time Collection at the National Portrait Gallery

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Dec 02 2005 - 14:56:43 PST

Dear Art Educators,

The following online exhibit was listed in the Scout Report. I thought
you would enjoy seeing it. Many different media used for portraits for
Time Magazine. I liked the paper mache Nixon - thought that might
inspire a lesson.

8. Cover Art: The Time Collection at the National Portrait Gallery
[Macromedia Flash Player]
http://www.npg.si.edu/time/

The US National Portrait Gallery at the Smithsonian Institution holds an
impressive collection of portraits from the covers of Time magazine.
In 1978, the magazine donated about 800 portraits to the Gallery, and the
collection has since grown to over 2,000. The web version of the collection
features a selection of portraits, accompanied by biographical sketches and
audio where appropriate - for example, listen to a clip of Martin Luther
King's "I have a dream speech" while viewing his February 18, 1957 cover. A
few broad categories have been created for browsing, such as Sports, Civil
Rights, and Technology & Invention. Richard M. Nixon turns out to be the
most featured person on Time covers, with 57 appearances. The
Resources section provides the link to search Time Magazine's comprehensive
archive of covers http://www.time.com/time/coversearch. [DS]

Copyright Scout Report 2005 - shared here with permission.

Regards,

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/