Re: Quilled Paper Ornaments

---------

jean1_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Tue Dec 07 2004 - 12:49:54 PST

I do quilled snowflakes with fourth grade, 1" x 12" strips of white
tag, and a nickel-sized puddle of glue in a plastic lid. The glue
does get tacky! Kids dip the looped end into the glue, or use their
fingers when required. The snowflakes get big -- over 12" in
diameter. Each one is different. I show them how to make the
basic shapes: tear drops, circles, triangles, hearts. They come up
with lots of other shapes.

I first did this project with two teachers who wanted their classes
(book buddies) to have a project to do together. Strangely
enough, the third graders were always better at this than the 4th
graders and ended up helping their older buddy! How can that
be?

We work right on the table, moving the snowflake from time to time
so it doesn't glue fast to the table.

> From: "Dave Haines" <dhaines@access.k12.wv.us>
> Date: 2004/12/07 Tue PM 12:06:03 EST
> To: "ArtsEdNet Talk" <artsednet@lists.getty.edu>
> Subject: Quilled Paper Ornaments
>
> To spark a bit of Christmas Cheer, I give my Art I Classes a break
from the
> normal assignments for a Quilling Unit.
> I used to do these at the middle school level, but the high school
kids also
> seem to enjoy it. It's a good way to relate symmetry/radial
balance. You
> can have students draw out a design and the try to duplicate it.
The basic
> rolls and scrolls are easy to make & adapt to a good design.
> I was wondering if anyone else here does Quilling as a lesson?
If so, what
> type of glue do you find works best? I've been using tacky glue,
but am
> open for suggestions.
>
> Dave Haines
>

> ---