Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

glaze firing

From: Sarah Bernardi (bernardi_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Dec 07 2004 - 05:20:50 PST

can someone tell me real quick how long you have to wait for glaze to
dry before you fire it?

>>> 12/7/2004 5:32:03 AM >>>
For my acryilc students I bought a pack of about 50 picnic styrofoam
plates...and actually have the kids was the plates off carefully with
sponges when done. Usually will last an entire quarter.

What also has worked nicely is buying a roll of freezer wrap paper, and
have kids tape the paper shiny side up.

I especially like using the freezer wrap for tempera paint...where I
kids put about a nickel sized amount of paint out, the colors along the
edge. This I have them use like watercolor, reaching up and pulling
down to mix on the freezer wrap.

If I have another class coming in that will paint, the neat thing about
freezer wrap is that you can have the kids use a sponge or paper towel,
just wipe the freezer wrap off...leaving it taped down to the desks
then it
is all set for the next class. Works sweet!

When painting outdoors...I want the kids to use wood palettes. The
of the wood to mix paint on has a use many do not consider and that is
the wood is warm in mood and temperature. It doesn't require much
warmth in
the color to appear warm against the white of a white palette..yet
looking at the color of nature's light that comes off bright, students
(adults and teens) will be challenged to mix pigment that can match.

By having a warm wooden palette...the artist naturally mixes the color
warmer which is a better match for nature. This is because a warm
that looks quite warm against a white palette (white being cold in
looks not quite as warm on the wood palette. Thus, the painter mixes
color warmer to appear the warm s/he wants on the warm palette. This
that the color is being applied warmer to the painting itself and
less tweaking later on or adjustments. You see the color and its
temperature more accurately from the beginning.

Larry Seiler

Berkeley County School District provides employee E-mail
access for administrative and instructional use. E-mail
correspondence to/from Berkeley County School District
is considered public information and subject to release
under the South Carolina Freedom Of Information Act
or pursuant to subpoena.