art show communication

---------

From: Elizabeth Heisey (eheisey_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Dec 07 2004 - 05:00:47 PST

Would anyone be so kind to offer a copy of their contract they use for
art shows? I have had a communication problem of sorts with our local
coffee shop/art venue.
Face it--a coffee shop is busy serving coffee. They are a great venue,
but inexperienced. I perceive as a real problem those outside the
artworld not understanding artists' needs. That is, 'do not move our
artwork.' 'Do not 'rehang' our art to make room for a poster.' 'Do not
invite another artist to share the space you have given to us.' 'Call
me if anything is moved damaged or missing.'
We caught our problem before it really blossomed. But when someone
asked me, did you have a contract, I had to say no. I don't really want
to necessarily introduce some kind of formal contact, but when we as
teachers are handling artwork precious to a 3rd party (the student and
his family) I am very concerned that everyone's interests are
considered...as the go-between it puts a lot of pressure on me to find
a good safe venue. If good fences make good neighbors, then maybe a
clear outline of everyone's expectations makes for good relations
between school and community art venue.
I am open to all suggestions or maybe even a memo that someone as put
together for this type of need. I want to continue having neighborhood
art shows, but it needs a little bit of a framework.

Thanks
Beth

---