UNESCO Young Digital Creators Project

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Dec 06 2004 - 12:47:30 PST

Dear Art Educators,

I received this from Christina Human from UNESCO.
Email her for details c.human@unesco.org

UNESCO Young Digital Creators Project: Call for
participation

UNESCOís Young Digital Creatorís project (YDC) is a
UNESCO web-based project that allows young
participants of different cultures to gradually
construct, through a collaborative process and
creative digital tools, a deeper understanding of each
otherís cultural values, special reflections and
general concerns related to major issues of our time:
Water, HIV/AIDS, Urbanization etc. Using creative
artistic software with an open interdisciplinary
approach to knowledge, young people will be able to
create a series of textual, musical, visual or/and
multimedia materials (in progress creative works). The
creation of digital art works will be synchronized
with on-line discussion forums of exchanging views.

There are currently three separate projects that
interested classes from schools all over the globe
could participate in. They are:

Scenes and Sounds of my City: A project through which
teachers are asked to become mentors and students to
become artists. The goal of the project is to upload
pictures of their urban environments, taken by
students and then to upload it by means of our
specially created website in the form of a slideshow
with recorded sounds. These projects will be
displayed on our website along with a bio on the
school, teacher and community. The aim is for
students around the world to obtain a better
understanding of each otherís urban environment,
culture and surroundings. View the gallery of
existing projects at:
http://unesco-mycity.paris4.sorbonne.fr/

The Sound of our water: This programme can also be
promoted, with the help of the skilful guidance of
teachers, within the regular educational curriculum of
the schools dealing with the following subjects:
natural sciences, geography, history, music, etc. The
programme starts with recording sound clips related to
water. These sound clips will be saved on the
web-based sound bank for use of all participants. The
process of browsing and listening to different
soundtracks from the audio clip database, which are
made by the other participants, is equally essential.
With the selection of favourite sound clips, the young
digital creators will be able to explore creative
editing and mixing and compose their own "water song",
"water soundscape". These artistic audio pieces will
also be uploaded to the web-based database, where
there will be an archive of collected creative
productions. View work:
http://unesco.uiah.fi/water/pieces/

Youth creating and communicating on HIV Aids: Young
people will be able to reflect on HIV/AIDS related to
specific social and cultural issues and to express
their thoughts and feelings through their own creation
of artwork with digital sound and image. It will
especially be an entertaining opportunity for them to
play with creative digital tools such as digital
recording and artistic remixing. This is for more
advance students, probably students studying graphic
design. View gallery:
http://digiarts-hiv-unesco.org/modules.php?name=Artworks

For more details see:

http://portal.unesco.org/culture/admin/ev.php?URL_ID=5334&URL_DO=DO_TOPIC

We will be very grateful if you could consider
participating in one of our projects. The class
should have access to the Internet and a camera and
should be able to record sound. UNESCO will not be
able to provide funding, but we will give exposure to
the project along with information on the school and
the teacher. We will also give students letters of
participation. The age groups range from 12-17 year
old students, apart for the HIV Aids project, which is
more geared towards older students.

Thank you for your interest and assistance

UNESCO
Digi Arts Section
Christina Human: c.human@unesco.org