Altered Books - Social Issues - Great site

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Dec 03 2004 - 09:01:25 PST

Dear Art Educators,

This site came though Scout Report today...GREAT site
showing "altered" books (OK dramatically transformed
in many cases) - Vandalized books turned into art.
http://sfpl.lib.ca.us/news/onlineexhibits/rv/

Reversing Vandalism

"Sometimes traumatic events, though harrowing and
disturbing, may serve as catalytic moments that can
create openings for informed discussion, debate,
and eventually, healing. One such event occurred in
the early months of 2001 when San Francisco Public
Library staff began finding damaged books hidden
under shelving units throughout the main library. The
books were mostly related to issues of gay, lesbian,
bisexual, and transgendered individuals,
and the works had been carved and mutilated with a
sharp instrument. Eventually the vandal was caught by
a librarian, and later found guilty of a hate crime.
After this series of events, a number of local visual
artists and library staff began to think about
creating the "Reversing Vandalism" project, which
would allow artists to use the damaged books to create
new works of arts. When the project was completed,
participants from more than 20 states had created new
works from these books in a wide range of media. On
this site, visitors can view the completed works, read
statements from the artists, and read various media
very fruitful and creative idea is expressed through
this insightful online exhibit." [KMG]

>From The Scout Report, Copyright Internet Scout
Project 1994-2004.
http://scout.wisc.edu/
Hope you can use this site...middle school and high
school can certainly deal with this subject. A link
will be added from the Altered book lesson plan on
IAD. I have not looked at every image.... I just know
you will find many great works to show your students.
If you want to let your students explore the site -
check all for suitability.

Regards,

Judy Decker