Re: Wendy Free -scratchboard album -Leah

---------

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Dec 31 2003 - 11:45:59 PST

Hi Leah,

I know Wendy will give you an answer, too - but I know
hers are watercolors over the finished scratch board.

I have done the method you mentioned with grades as
young as 1st grade - and as old as high school. The
trick is NOT to have the ink too black. Add a bit of
dish detergent (but not too much as it will penetrate
the crayon) and just a bit of water (you will have to
experiment - I always tested the ink mix before having
kids use it). My second graders made the most gorgeous
fish compositions! I wish I had digital images of
those (from 1990 - pre technology for me).

I do have some of my sixth grade Beasties online:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/Lessons/6beast.htm
(the frames were scanned in border designs).

Wendy's lesson plan is at this link:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/high/ken-scratch.htm#Wendy

Here are some links and a lesson for Scratchboard
(provided by Wendy last year)
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/Scratchboard.htm

Thanks Wendy! (and Leah).

Judith

--- artappeal <artappeal@comcast.net> wrote:
> While checking out your albums of fabulous student
> work, I saw your
> students' scratchboard drawings. Did they plan out
> the drawings and color
> appropriate colors underneath before covering with
> black and scratching? If
> so, how were the drawings registered, or lined up?
> Neat work!
> Leah

=====
Judith Decker