Re: high school Drawing final

---------

From: knitzber (knitzber_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Dec 31 2003 - 09:13:42 PST

Here is another approach that I have used in my art classes
in lieu of
more traditional final testing methods. I have my students
do a self
assessment of the work that they have done over the course
of the
marking period (we are on quarter / block scheduling). For
example,
the self evaluation format I used for my Drawing I class
last quarter
addressed the following issues:

On this page, discuss the work that you have done this
quarter in class.
You may continue your response on the back of this page if
necessary.
Include all of the following information in your self
evaluation:
1) The assignments that were worked on (negative / positive
space
drawings, 3D / movement compositions, realistic /
surrealistic drawings,
gridded self portrait, ArtsConnected portrait collection,
expressive self
portrait, pattern / contrast assignment).
2) What information that you learned from working on the
assignments
(including use of materials).
3) What surprised you about the results that were created
(as relating
to your own work and / or that of your classmates).
4) The successes that you felt that you had in completing
your work.
You will receive a grade on this evaluation based on the
comprehensiveness of your response. Thank you for your
efforts in
class this quarter.

I have pretty much given up on the paper / pencil exam
formats I used
to use to gauge learning over the course of the quarter as
the that type
of learning assessment does not accurately reflect the type
/ style of
instruction that takes place in my art room. Also, I should
also add that
critiquing of student's work (both their own and each
other's), is already
a part of their classwork and so I wanted to use another
strategy to
provide them with an effective evaluation / assessment tool
that they
could communicate with. In addition, I typically do not
want them to
crfeate more art work in order to demonstrate what they
have learned
as we cover a great deal of topics over the quarter that
would be very
difficult to accurately assess in one assignment that was to
be
completed in a relatively short period of time. There are
also other
aspects of assessing learning that would not necessarily be
efficiently
addressed using that approach in my estimation. I need for
my
students to be able to discuss what they have experienced in
order to
be able to determine that the underlying principles being
dealt with
were truly understood.

Hope that helps to give you another possible approach.

Kevan Nitzberg

> Do any of you have good solutions to giving a "final exam"
> in a semester Drawing class. I usually end up giving a
> final project/assignment that is due on the final exam
> day....any better ideas? Thanks in advance,
> Marcia in IL
>

> ---
> leave-artsednet-20359V@lists.getty.edu

---