Re: high school Drawing final as critique

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Dec 30 2003 - 19:58:02 PST

>Do any of you have good solutions to giving a "final exam" in a
>semester Drawing class?
>. . . . .
>Marcia in IL ---

If the course work has included age appropriate critique methods and
practice, the final exam day can be used for writing peer critique.
Ask students to each display several of their best works from the
term. I ask students to draw classmate names from a box to determine
which other student artwork to write about. The number of names they
each take depends on the time available and the amount of writing
expected for each student. They are told in advance that the other
student will be allowed to read what they write. I allow the writer
to select one work from each student name that they draw from the
name box.

This web page shows a sample of a critique form I developed to guide
the critique process. I also ask students to fill this out in
preparation for oral classroom discussion critiques earlier in the
term.
http://www.goshen.edu/art/ed/critiqueform.html
The emphasis is on analysis and interpretation - not judgement and
not on ranking or grading the work. The process is not meant to
evaluate so much as to learn what makes artwork work, how it works,
what it says, how it feels, what it might mean, why it might mean
this or feel this way, and what its purpose might be.

Marvin Bartel

---