Super Collage project for many grade levels

---------

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Dec 29 2003 - 15:39:40 PST

Dear Art Educators,

Linda Woods posted her collage lesson that she was
doing with 2nd graders. This one will WOW you. I can
see students doing this all the way to high school
level. I have some examples now in Incredible Art
Department. Eventually, I'll turn it into a lesson
plan - but for now enjoy Linda's own words.

http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/elem/linda-collage.htm

From Linda Woods' Getty post:

I'm doing a really cool collage idea with my second
graders right now. It could be any age, though, and
would be so much better than they can do it, but they
ARE doing a really great job and it's very creative.
ALso a great color lesson. They feel like interior
designers. I'm calling it "View Through A Window".
I started by showing them lots of images of artists
paintings through a window...Matisse, Picasso,
Bonheur, and Thomas McKnight. We discussed the depth
in these paintings, what you see outside, how things
fade away and get smaller in the distance, what was on
the windowsills in some of them, what overlapped the
windows (chairbacks in the corner of a window, someone
standing or sitting there, etc. The final assignment
involves painting a small watercolor landscape. The
landscape will serve as a window in
the collage of an interior space. Students were to
paint the landscapes seasonally. I have some lovely
wintery paintings, some very springy ones, fall
paintings, etc. They also had to put themselves into
their landscape. So ideally, it was a place they
would like to be/have been. Some were on the water, as
if you would be looking out a hotel room window. When
they were finished painting the landscape, they made
window frames from white or colored paper. Some were
arched, others were rectangle. Following this, they
took their painting to the paper rack to select a
color that would look great as their wall color. It
had to be a color that was an accent color in the
painting of their landscape. They selected two pieces
of 12x18 colored construction paper and glued them to
an 18x24 white sheet to make the wall (18 x 24
construction paper could be used for the wall). Once
they glued the wall together, they glued the window
near the top, but it did not have to be centered
horizontally. They selected a carpet color
(again, having to do with colors in their landscape
and wall) to glue to the bottom of the 18x24 wall.
The carpet is 5 inches wide, and extends about an inch
and a half further to the sides than the wall -wall is
18 wide, carpet is about 21 inches wide(Texture panels
and crayons could be used to add texture to the
carpet). We put a bead of glue at the very bottom of
the wall before sticking the edge of the carpet to the
wall, so it also made the whole thing longer at this
point. Keep in mind that there is also a white 24x30
inch piece of white paper that
will be going behind all of this later to serve as a
matt. Once the wall and carpet were ready, they set
that part aside and began creating Eric Carle type of
painted texture and pattern paper for fabrics to add
to their collage via furniture, curtains, stepstools,
tables, lampshades, people's clothes, etc. Once
again, they were to select colors that had something
to do with their room to use in the patterns and
textures for fabric. Many tried complementary colors
with an accent of one of the wall, carpet, or
landscape colors. Others worked more harmoniously,
but darkened or lightened values previously used. We
used crayon/texture sheets and watercolors for the
painted paper, as well as sponges for dragging paint
in stripes to make plaids. I showed them how
to make a chair seat in perspective, and they are to
make up their own chairbacks, but they must overlap
the window a bit on one side and the chairs are about
2 feet tall. The fabrics they make will be for seat
cushions and backs. They can make anything else they
want...add animals curled up in the chair, on the
floor, a person, vases of flowers on thewindowsill or
a table, a woven throw rug, books, etc. Anything in
an interior. We let the chair legs extend an inch or
so below the edge of the carpet and they could also be
glued a little wider than the wall, as the large white
paper matt will catch the extension and add an extra
dimension. These are really cool looking...very
graphic. I sort of made this project up as we went
along. Some kids are collaging pets, birdcages on
stands, randomthings on the table, such as a purse, a
beverage or dessert plate, etc.
They are enjoying working large, and I think they are
learning a lot about color selection as you continue
working on a piece of art. Also, they are learning
more about depth and how important overlapping is.
To have the big chair overlapping the corner of the
window with something small on the window ledge,
landscape in the background, has been easy
for them to understand and fun to think about.
Painting the landscape window background first insured
interesting backgrounds rather than afterthoughts.

(Back to Judy) I have added a blurb about her 2nd
grade still life too (that was done before the "Room
with a View"). The Matisse-like still life is linked
to Pam Stephens' lesson plan and Linda's Eric Carle
lesson. You can tweak either one to fit this new
approach. Linda's lesson is very similar to one
Rebecca Engleman did last year with Matisse and third
graders.

Folks - check out Linda's site. She has added brief
descriptions/how-tos with EACH project now. You can
read it on the first slide for each one. She has been
busy.
http://www.sjs.org/stories/default.asp?L2=3&newsid=44754

Linda - I wanted to show all four you sent me - but
only three would fit. I enjoyed the other one, too -
and eeny-meeny-miny-moed.

=====
Judith Decker
Incredible Art Department