The most AWESOME storyteller! check it out

---------

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Dec 29 2003 - 09:08:54 PST

Folks,

I am still "putsying" around with the lesson plan for
storytellers.... You'll see why it takes me so long if
you look at Linda's kids' creations (smile).

This one will blow you away!
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/Linda-story3.jpg

A third grader made this - really!

The dragon is bigger than a shoebox.
Here is Linda's description as it was in progress:
"I have a true prodigy in 3rd grade for clay. I've
never seen any child do what she did in all of my 24
years of working with clay with kids...If I had not
seen it with my own eyes, I'd swear an adult did it.
She made a really gigantic dragon storyteller with 2
babies out of clay using mostly slab, coil, pinch
pots, and pinched forms on the head and scales. Wait
til you see the mouth and head and the way she made
the eyes. There is so much gesture, movement, and
expression! She also painted it (all her own idea) in
a way that it looks like an antique chinese dragon. We
used underglazes this time, which lent themselves
perfectly to her design ideas. (they don't blur or
run...precise graphic design quality) The only thing
I helped her with was figuring
out how to make the tail curve around the body. I
explained how to use a combination of slab, coil, and
pinch pots joined together to make her hollow form and
the curve of the body, and she did it so adeptly! No
one can believe this 3rd grade girl did this, even
though they watched her, lol. Thank goodness I was
calling people in to see it as she
progressed on it. What fun that was. She whizzed
through it, too. Such a vision in her head, and such
a way with clay, you won't believe it."

Back to Judy - now you can believe it (smile). Linda -
you better point out more art from Adrienne. What fun
to have a student this talented!

See more storytellers on Linda Woods' web site:
http://www.sjs.org/stories/default.asp?L2=3&newsid=44754
Click on Gallery

Enjoy the fine art of St Johns Lower School students.
I have another awesome lesson to share soon but
wanted to get this out first. (I am supposed to be
grocery shopping right now -- tee-hee).

Judith

=====
Judith Decker