Re: animolitos/oaxacan

---------

From: The Hammond Family (bhammond_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Dec 29 2003 - 07:32:57 PST

Here's what I do - especially for sculpture material
BEG - BEG - BEG!!!
Each of my classes have 31 students so I need lots of material also - I'm
teaching in a high school but my students are mainly "put" into Art 1
because we have too few electives - so the interest level is pretty low. As
a result I'd say I'm teaching on about a 6th grade level.
We do papier mache masks - I ask the teachers for newspapers and plastics
bags (we form a kind of hump mold with newspaper stuffed plastic bags to
build the mask on).
When we do Oaxacan animals, I ask for white wire coat hangers (the white is
easier to bend) and everyone cleans out their closet.
We build David Smith-like sculptures from cardboard boxes (the custodians
know not to throw ANYTHING away without seeing me first!), hot glue and
mis-matched latex paint from Lowe's and Home Depot.
I am now collecting scraps of wood for another abstract sculpture (the
cardboard boxes took up too much space).
We also do the pantyhose sculptures from donated panty hose (We have a few
textile mills left in NC) and again the white wire coat hangers.
Once we made a really ugly but fun sculpture using discarded student desks
and stools, duct tape, gold spray paint and a naked umbrella frame. It was
funny to watch the county grounds keepers try to decide whether to mow
around it or throw it out (We finally put a sign by it that said "This is
art")
Have fun - but order clay if you've got all that paper.
Belinda