Re: clay whistles

---------

From: Jancy & Mike Cossin (jmcossin_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Dec 26 2003 - 13:20:49 PST

Well, all of our whistles worked, but maybe one- but it was a bear. Note to everyone- don't do this if you have asthma............testing them nearly killed me. And keep in mind the kids in class that have it. It's the worst thing you could do.
We burnished them and incised designs in them. They then took watery acrylic and stained them so that their designs stood out. They looked great.
The kids absolutly loved them, though I don't know if I'll do them again due to the asthma concern.........
Jancy

CVsnare@cs.com wrote:
The most critical part of the clay whistle is the edge on the "sound" hole.
I'm sure, if you've looked at diagrams of how to contstruct these, you'll know
the location I'm referring to. The edge that the wind travels over must be
formed cleanly at a fairly sharp angle. I often use the handle of a clay needle
tool to make this hole -- angle the handle and push it ONCE into the clay and
withdraw it. Don't fiddle with the hole at all once you've initially formed it.
Then make sure that the "mouthpiece" hole is "pointed" straight at the sharp
angled edge of the sound hole. It helps to push up a sort of
mouthpiece-shaped bump that is a little higher than the rest of the whistle body before you
start making any of the holes. Shape the mouthpiece hole like a "dash," not a
round hole. It should be wider than it is tall. Of course, to begin with, make
sure that the body of the whistle has no leaks -- I make them very much like a
pinch pot and then close them up by pinching edge to edge, leaving a hollow
middle. Good luck!