Re: wheat weaving

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Dec 26 2003 - 10:07:31 PST

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526

>From: "Jean Womack" <jeaneger@jeaneger.com>
> I have been teaching myself wheat weaving using a sheaf of wheat from
> Safeway, here in San Francisco. I was wondering if it would be possible to
> grow it in my back yard? Does anyone know how to grow wheat? I have a back
> yard, but I'm a city kid with a black thumb. I think the bearded kind is
> the most desirable for wheat weaving, from what I've read. I think some of
> the girls who like to braid hair might also enjoy braiding wheat and they
> might be really good at it too.> Jean Womack
***********************

You are in the PERFECT spot to go visit "The Caning Shop" in Berkeley...926
Gilman Street. You can also visit... http://www.caningshop.com (their
website) for more info, materials, and workshops. They carry your stuff plus
give lessons on using it. A few years ago they had a wonderful teacher who
used to give workshops on making insects with straw/wheat.

You don't even have to grow your own. Look for your wheat during springtime
around the hills where you can get it free....remember?... "the golden hills
of California". What do you think makes it "golden"?...grin. I find my wheat
in an over-grown field near my home. Toodles.....Bunki

---