Amaryllis Drawings

---------

From: Gorham, Peter \(ED14\) (gorhapej_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Dec 24 2003 - 20:44:51 PST

Hello and Happy Holiday Listers

              I have just finished a 6 week long project where I had each student draw an amaryllis as it grew and bloomed in our classroom. For part of every class we drew this not quite still life (as it grew so very fast even when I set it beside a cool window evenings and weekends) in sessions of up to 30 minutes. Somedays this was a bit of a stretch of most students interest and patience but I changed the drawing media, the position the children were sitting in relation to the plant, we talked about looking and looking and then drawing , we talked about qualities of lines and we tried to represent the shiny hard plastic pot, the crinkly tin foil (the hardest part) the complicated flowers. Many children were obviously surprised and more satisfied with their drawing than they usually are in my class. We often reviewed the drawings of the previous class as an introduction,the classes ranged from K to 5.
I would like to hear about other teachers prolonged drawing projects. Note I have promised some still life drawing based on machinery next.

            Peter Gorham
on vacation, so I'm writing and not just reading your posts
Thanks for support this list gives to this busy teacher.

---