Q's design essentials for new art room

---------

From: sandra summers-barrick (tamayo_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Dec 24 2003 - 09:25:23 PST

A little background......
 I just recently was hired to teach 450, 1st-8th grade kids art. I am
excited because this really is
the first full time art position I've ever had after 20 years of
teaching and being an artist. This is a large catholic school and I have
only taught art part time in private independent and parochial schools.
I am also trained in Montessori. There are 16 classes, 2 of each grade.
They have art once a week. I am on a stage while they complete the new
art room. They did say I would have input on what I want but the person
in charge has yet to respond to my messages or emails. I know they are
getting a kiln and they are making two rooms into one large art room. I
actually have seen the space and it's partly underground, but there are
two double (egress windows) on one wall. I'm just excited about having a
room, after years of doing a cart in classrooms or having a shared space
with other specials, finally an art room. I know they are going to build
a closet on one wall and build a room for a kiln, which they don't have.
The few things I asked for are: 2 deep sinks (because the classes have
28-32 kids in them) and to move the sinks down not on the corner by the
doorway where they want to put them. Also I want a kiln master or sitter
for the kiln. Any other suggestions I would appreciate, especially with
lights. They want florescent. Is there a light bulb you can use in a
florescent fixture that would be more incandescent? I thought at least
clip spot lamps I could place around. It's Southern light but the
northern light room, which will be the library, has the new building so
close to the windows you would not get any light at all. They are
putting in cabinets and shelves. I am asking for a concrete floor. Looks
like they are spending around 12,000$ and want it done by april or
before.
astroboy
Yippee I'm on again.

---