See Linda Woods Cave Art (elementary)

---------

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Dec 20 2003 - 16:47:38 PST

Dear Art Educators,

I see Linda Woods has already been busy during her
break. She now has some of the cave art on her iste.
Getty folks may remember that as her "fancy project"

St. John's ( http://www.sjs.org ) tech folks are still
working out some bugs - but here is a link that took
me right to Linda everytime:
http://www.sjs.org/stories/default.asp?L2=3&newsid=4475
Then go to the Gallery

This is my favorite way to get there:
http://www.sjs.org/arts/story/
90% of the time it goes right to Linda - on the chance
it doesn't, I just click ARTS and her picture comes
up. There are all sorts of ways to find her. Soon all
the glitches will be fixed. The site is really
fantastic.

Here is the description Linda posted a while back to
Getty (I'm putting it on IAD):

>>We just finished a beautiful cave art project. We
first crumpled and painted manilla paper totally brown
with tempera, then rinsed it to make it look like a
cracked brown paper...rock like. Kids drew animals,
figures, symbols, etc. in black crayon...very lightly
at first, then pressed hard intermittently in the
outline of their creatures. After that, they used
earth tone craypas that were broken in small pieces (a
little less than a half inch long) to blend colors,
add shading to their
creatures. We also used white in some cases. I told
them to press hard in some areas, such as bright gold
or yellow orange for highlighting, medium hard in the
other areas...just hard enough to resist black
watercolor that was added last after they finished
coloring. We only used the black watercolor resist
over the craypas but they also mixed some pale washes
to tint their rocks wet in wet over the brown crackle
if they wished to add more color to the rocks. The
crackles still showed if they wished to do that. I
told them that they could use one pale color wash for
an accent color in a border if they wished, but they
could also leave all of the colors neutral and be
content with that. Oh, and the very last thing we did
was to use some metallic gold and copper acrylic paint
to add some accents to theiranimals. We did this with
qiuck brushstrokes to indicate highlight
areas...used in moderation, then blended them out a
little with our fingers so that they would not be
overpowering, but add a contemporary flair to these
sylized drawings. They also tore the edges of the
brown crackled paper backgrounds before they mounted
them on either medium brown or grey construction paper
mats. I had some handouts with cave art animals and
figures on them, and we looked at a powerpoint of
Lascaux prior to doing this. We discussed the
stylization of the horses, bulls, figures and symbols
in depth, analyzing their skinny legs and their body
forms related to geometric shape. My kids were
fearless with drawing horses, stags, moose, antelope,
bighorned sheep,and bulls
after our chat beforehand. These were GORGEOUS and
have attracted a lot of attention.

(Linda if you see this I REALLY want the horse image
for the lesson - That is MY favorite - no rush)

While you are at Linda's Gallery - browse the story
tellers and Oaxacan animals. Great fun!

Merry Christmas all,

Judith

=====