Jan's Meet the Masters - Wayne Theibaud

---------

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Dec 19 2003 - 07:17:41 PST

(Tammi - I am cc'ing to you. We will "talk" later)

Dear Art Educators,

Great news from Jan Hillmer!

Jan did the Wayne Thiebaud Meet the Masters.
They ended up using the idea from Sharon Kennedy - the
icing color wheel/vanilla wafers (thanks for posting
it Sue - it was a good one).
http://www.art-rageous.net/EdibleColorwheel-LP.html
It worked great - better than she anticipated
(pictures to come when I do the Meet the Masters
page).

Due to various reasons, they broke our grade level of
60 kids into 2 groups of 30 (instead of the 3 classes
of 20) and dropped music from the MTM mix (60's music
would be a good tie in - more to come on this). In
the drama/music room we showed the students the
"Behind the Scenes" DVD with Wayne Thiebaud featured.

Perhaps the best thing was that the parents were
pleasantly surprised at the simplicity of the project,
but yet how loaded it was with
learning (you could even take it one more step and
have them draw their cookies - if time permits)

Look for former students to help. Jan's son -7th
grader - turned out to be a lifesaver - he created a
great PowerPoint in 10 minutes for them, and knew how
to run the DVD player (Jan treated him to his favorite
fastfood lunch). The moms and teachers who did help
were impressed! Way to go Jan! This was a great
Christmas gift - early!.

More to come on Jan's "Meet the Masters" Series -
Rembrandt is next in line. This is a fun way to
integrate the arts - give a bit of hands on to "whet
the appetite" for more learning. Art History can be
fun (for all).

Give this idea a whirl! It works even with high school
kids -- Sue's students love their vanilla wafer color
wheels. Hey - even if you have to shell out the $$ to
do it - It is worth it.

Fabulous Friday!

Judith

P.S. Sharon Kennedy has many fabulous ideas/lessons on
her site. She pays a bunch of money to put her site
online for us. If you spend some time on her site -
take the time to let her know. Sign her guest book -
or send an email http://www.art-rageous.net/

=====
Judith Decker
Incredible Art Department