Regarding PMC

---------

From: Nitzberg, Kevan (Kevan.Nitzberg_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Dec 18 2003 - 05:42:52 PST

The material is expensive but extremely simple to use. It was apparently developed by Mitsubishi and is composed of 80% silver and 20% organic binder (the secret ingedient). The material is completely reusable once it dries out so that there is virtually no waste (just add a little water). PMC comes in various forms, the standard version of which is still pricey but can be fired in a normal clay kiln for 2 hours at 1650 degrees F. In the workshop I took, fashioning rings out of the material was not advised due to the nature of the material not holding up to certain levels of stress, but beads and pendants were very doable, along with a variety of strategies for working with it. I am planning on integrating using PMC in an Art Lab class I am teaching at the high school level.

Kevan Nitzberg

---