Re: PMC Silver Clay - Bill

---------

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Dec 17 2003 - 06:39:28 PST

> 3. How do you control waste for those students
> who don't follow directions and don't seem to
> care about much?

Hi Bill....I do have an answer for this...I will
probably think about it all day (smile). I will send
it to you off list since most on the list won't listen
anyways....But this has to start in elementary grades
- and follow all through middle school and high school
(sounds like you need a department meeting on this
one). If they aren't taught then -- it is a difficult
job for you. Too many bad habits are learned. We live
in a throw away society. We make it too easy to just
throw away and start over.

Let me mull this over a bit....but emphasize value.
This unit is a privilege for them. It is a reward. If
you can't approach it that way -- then maybe it isn't
worth doing? Not worth the "head aches". $5.00 doesn't
begin to cover the materials and tools these kids use
in your class. If they are wasting things - it is
because they don't know the real value of what they
are getting. $5.00 is nothing to them. Increase the
art fee for future years.

More later...

Judith

=====