Egytpian Paste/Faience - for the brave

---------

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Dec 13 2003 - 15:33:53 PST

This is just to give you a smile....

I did enter BOTH terms at the same time this time to
see what would come up. Many of the same links I sent
to Jan came up in Google...here is one I didn't send
her: http://www.potters.org/subject13698.htm
A Clay Art Thread. Numo Jaeger has also been a Getty
member. And "Cheers" to Deborah for asking this
question on colors:
http://www.potters.org/subject02985.htm

Here are two recipes. I've [ANNE STECKER]tested them
both, but can't remember which one is
better. I think the 5,000 BC recipe! Good Luck!

EGYPTIAN PASTE (5,000 BC)

FELDSPAR 40
FLINT 20
KAOLIN 15
BALL CLAY 5
SODIUM
BICARBONATE 6
SODA ASH 6
WHITING 5
FINE WHITE
SAND 8

FIRE TO 1705 F (930C)

EGYPTIAN PASTE (1971 AD)

BALL CLAY 35
J FRIT (P2245) 12
SODA ASH 6
FINE WHITE
SAND 10

COLORANTS TO ADD TO EITHER RECIPE

TURQUOISE 2% COPPER
BLUE 2% COBALT
PINK 1% MANGANESE
BROWN 5% MANGANESE
LIME GREEN 5% CHROME

ANNE STECKER
IN OREGON
REKCETS@OPEN.ORG

For those with a real interest - try to locate this
book: Gifts of the Nile: Ancient Egyptian Faience
by Authors: Florence Dunn Friedman , Georgina Borromeo
, Mimi Leveque , Cleveland Museum of Art , Rhode
Island School of Design Museum of Art , Kimbell Art
Museum , Deborah E. (pricey - but maybe a library
would have it)

This was a good link I gave Jan -- but the pictures
aren't very good:
http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/faience.htm

I'm going to compile all of this....Just wanted to
show how curiosity got me today. Google can answer so
many questions....and so fast, too.

"Cheers"

Judith

P.S. Marvin - don't know if you have had time to
follow this thread - but do you have a good recipe I
could list on my Faience Page? Denise Panell - if you
see this - your Egyptian Eye will be on that page- It
is still on my desk top (keeping an eye on me, I guess
-- along with Makio's "God-in-the-woods").

=====
Judith Decker
Incredible Art Department
Jdecker@woh.rr.com